Plaskett supports Pelosi, but hopes younger leaders will rise in Democratic Party

News Politics

Congresswoman Stacey Plaskett (D-V.I.) says she will support Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) as nominee for Speaker of the House. But she’s also hoping that younger voices will be heard in the next Congress.

In a statement released Wednesday, Plaskett also congratulated Representatives Steny Hoyer and Jim Clyburn for being elected by the Democratic Caucus.

Plaskett originally supported Ohio Congresswoman Marcia Fudge for Speaker, noting she was a “mentee” of Fudge from the time Plaskett entered Congress in 2013. Fudge contemplated a run for speakership, but later withdrew her bid on Nov. 20 after Pelosi appointed Fudge to the chair of a newly revived elections subcommittee.

Pelosi, who will begin her seventeenth term in the House when the 116thCongress convenes in January, was unopposed in Wednesday’s closed-door vote among only Democrats, claiming 85 percent of the ballots cast. The other 15 percent came from Democrats who wanted a younger leader with fresher ideas.

Pelosi, 78, said she’s open to new ideas and younger voices, something Plaskett said she’s confident will happen.

“I’m a new (Democrat),” said Plaskett, who won her fourth term in Congress during the Nov. 6 election. “I’m considered a moderate Democrat. So, having someone who I believe is going to take in the issues and concerns of all Members of Congress is really important to me.”

The full House vote for Speaker is scheduled for Jan. 3, 2019.