VITEMA is currently hiring 911 Emergency Call Center Operators (Exam Required) in both the St. Croix and St. Thomas/St. John districts. The deadline to apply is December 20.
Check out the full job descriptions on the Division of Personnel’s website:
- St. Croix: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/dopusvi/jobs/2648429/emergency-call-center-operator-exam-requried?page=2&pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs
- St. Thomas/St. John: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/dopusvi/jobs/2650393/emergency-call-center-operator-examination-required?page=2&pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs
Description at glance:
Under the direction of the Emergency Communications Center Manager, the employee receives all incoming calls for police, medical, and fire assistance and to dispatch required equipment including pre-arrival information using a computer aided dispatch system. Performs a variety of general support duties related to communications activities. This is responsible shift work.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordinates island-wide road blocks with other departments during major incidents
- Maintains a log of recorded calls in system, broadcasts and complaints received.
- Utilizes pre-defined protocol and standard operations procedure, questions callers to determine locations and seriousness of emergency and response needed.
- Coordinates all police, fire, ambulance and other emergency requests by relaying instructions to closest and most suitable units available.
- Transmits and receives messages between divisions of own agency, other law enforcement agencies, government departments and other emergency organizations.
- Contacts emergency personnel/units to verify assignment locations, monitors dispatched units and when necessary, serves as liaison with caller.
- Recognizes the need for, and to be able to take action without delay, orders, and in some instances, assistance. Acts on situations on their own initiative within the boundaries of protocol.
- Monitors closed circuit television security systems, and other various type alarms associated with the law enforcement.
Associates degree in Emergency Services, Police Science, Fire Science, Criminal Justice, Communications, Public Administration or Business Administration.
High School diploma or GED plus two (2) years of experience working as a 911 operator/dispatcher.
High School diploma or GED plus three (3) years of experience in a customer service related field.